Saturday, December 31, 2005

Brad Boydston
Address:

PO Box 1113
Laveen, AZ 85339-1113 USA

Email:
brad@boydston.us

Phone:
+1-602-903-5085
Skype: BradBoydston
If calling from outside the US you can
check the time here

PURPOSE:
My purpose is to help people make vital connections and to facilitate growth in the lives of individuals and the church.

In 1985 I was ordained as a minister in the Evangelical Covenant Church. I have pastored congregations in Turlock, California; Bedford, Texas; and Selah, Washington. We are currently establishing a new ECC congregation in Laveen (Phoenix), Arizona that is called MasterPiece Church. I am the pastor and church planter.

I have special interests in Christian leadership formation, global mission development (especially in multi-cultural contexts), and in helping to start networks of new congregations.

HOME HAS BEEN:
San Jose, California; Scotts Valley, California; Berkeley, California; Pasadena, California; Tempe, Arizona; Chicago, Illinois; Selah, Washington; Euless, Texas; Turlock, California, and Mangilao, Guam.

SCHOOLS:
Willow Glen High School in San Jose, California (Class of '74); BA, Arizona State University; MDiv and DMin, Fuller Theological Seminary. I also studied at San Jose City College, San Jose State University, New College Berkeley, and North Park Theological Seminary.

TEACHING:
In addition to the standard pastoral fare of weekly preaching and teaching adult and youth classes over the years, I have taught the building bridges with Mormons series, an introduction to church planting in the Covenant Church, the spontaneous church planting component of the Perspectives on the World Christian Movement course, an introduction to the Internet for Christians, and a re-envisioning your ministry seminar. I teach Vocational Excellence for new Evangelical Covenant Church ministers through the Covenant Orientation program.

I served as the Vice-President of Academic Affairs at Pacific Islands University (Pacific Islands Bible College), where I also taught on both the undergraduate and graduate levels for three years. (I continue to serve as an adjunct professor.) I have taught or currently teach:

evangelism and discipleship (graduate seminary)

spiritual formation (undergraduate, graduate)

preaching (undergraduate)

theology (undergraduate, theology)

world religions (undergraduate)

basic Bible study methods (undergraduate)

Here is a link to my Academic CV


OTHER RESPONSIBILITIES and SERVICE (past and present):

Covenant Project Missionary in Micronesia.

President of the Covenant Ministerium.

Secretary of the Covenant Ministerium.

Member of the Evangelical Covenant Church’s Board of the Ordered Ministry and its executive committee.

Church planting coach (Anglo and “ethnic” congregations)

Chair of the Management Advisory Committee at Covenant Village of Turlock.

President of TEAM (Turlock Evangelical Association of Ministers)

Member of the Turlock Community-University task force.

Volunteer chaplain at Emanuel Medical Center.

Field education supervisor for students from Dallas Theological Seminary, Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary, Mennonite Brethren Biblical Seminary, Trinity Theological College.

Area representative for North Park Theological Seminary.

• Board of Directors, member and parliamentarian, Laveen Community Council.


DIVERSIONS:
I enjoy discussing and learning about early church history, Eastern Orthodoxy, Lutheranism, European Pietism, Anglicanism, Ecumenics, theological education, distance education, and electronic culture. I have been a member of the Society for the Study of Eastern Orthodoxy and Evangelicalism.

FAVORITE THINGS:
Meandering around town on my bike...

Winter cycling in the Sonoran desert...

Birding...

Saguaro National Park, Arizona...

Clear, warm, sunny, winter days...

Southwest Florida...

Cairns, Queensland

Satsuma mandarin oranges and cara cara navels...

Key lime pie...

New churches...

Old churches...

“I Know That My Redeemer Liveth”, the soprano aria in Handel’s “Messiah”...

Flip flops on my feet...

Family...
  • Cheryl -- in Arizona with me, songwriter
  • Kirk -- linguist and knowledge/relevance analyst living in San Francisco, California, UC San Diego grad
  • Kent -- UC Irvine poli sci grad; master of international relations and Pacific studies from UC San Diego; taught English in universities in both South Korea and North Korea. Currently doing more language study at Yonsei University in Seoul. 
  • Betsy (Costa) -- UC Berkeley grad, PhD candidate (genetics) at UC San Francisco
Gardening -- veggies, cacti, citrus, tropical fruit (mangoes, guavas, pineapples)... (Member of Arizona Rare Fruit Growers, a chapter of the California Rare Fruit Growers.)

Arizona...

Guam...

Bach...

Walking on the beach with Cheryl...

Most anything CHOCOLATE but especially Scotchmallow dark chocolates from Sees’ Candies...